Monday, January 2, 2012

SECRETS

Reason 28

The Bible says nothing is secret and it is shameful to speak of things done in secret.

     Luke 8:17
For nothing is secret that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not be known and come to light.
     John 18:20
Jesus answered him, "I spoke openly to the world. I always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where the Jews always meet, and in secret I have said nothing.
     Acts 17:24
God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands.
     Ephesians 5:11-12
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret.

A few rituals which LDS consider sacred are

  • Baptisms for the dead
  • Celestial Marriage
  • Endowments
  • Exaltations
  • Ordinances
  • Sealings
I consider these rituals to be secret rituals because only faithful LDS members are allowed to know about them. Non members are not even allowed in the temple once it is dedicated. During the temple ceremony, members are told to not reveal the signs and tokens that have been given to them inside the temple. A covenant is made between "God, angels, and witnesses" that what we learn in the temple will never be revealed.

This part of the temple ceremony was always unsettling to me: Satan is asked what his apron is. His answer is: it is a sign of his power and priesthood. He then commands Adam and Eve to put on aprons. Adam and Eve do as Satan commands them, as do all members in the temple. I did not like how we let Satan tell us what to do in the temple. I did not like wearing something that represented Satan's power and priesthood. I did not like sustaining Satan's power and priesthood. This entire section of the temple ceremony disturbs me to this day. Many will be offended by this post, and all I can say is, I'm sorry! This is my story, and I know of no other way to heal.

My unanswered question was:

If Jesus does nothing in secret, and LDS are trying to be perfect like Jesus, then why do they do things in secret?

I was initially devastated when I received this answer that the entire temple ceremony is secret and not of God, yet overjoyed to find the truth that I will never have to attend a temple again! I will receive blessings and my prayers will be answered without the use of a temple. I never have to wear the clothing or perform the rituals again!

No comments:

Post a Comment