Sunday, December 11, 2011

GOD IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE

Reason 26

A major reason I joined the LDS church was the fact that it made so much sense. Everything was logical. There were no more mysteries about God, Heaven, or my purpose in life. The missionaries continued teaching how the Presbyterian Church was missing doctrines and important truths. In fact, they taught that all other churches were an abomination and were missing pieces of the Christian puzzle. The lds belief is: their church is the only church on earth that has the fullness of the gospel containing the complete truth. The lds church has God all figured out, and they are able to comprehend everything about Him.

However, the Bible tells us God's understanding is infinite and unsearchable.
     Psalm 147:5
"Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite."

     Isaiah 40:28
"Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the LORD, The Creator of the ends of the earth, Neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable."

     Isaiah 55:8
"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the LORD.
          (~ Chuck Smith ~ I will vouch for that. I don't understand so many times why God does the things He does. His thoughts are not my thoughts. Nor are His ways my ways. I would do many things much differently. I wouldn't do them more wisely; I'd just do them differently. But you see, the difference between God's thoughts and my thoughts, and God's ways and my ways, is that God knows the end from the beginning. Therefore, He doesn't do something and wonder if it's right. When He does it, He knows it's right. Now the way I do things, I do them and I hope it's right. And sometimes it is. But many times it isn't. But when I started doing it, I was sure it was.
So many times I think that this is the best way; and then I find out it isn't. There was a much better way. ~ Blue Letter Bible Commentary by Chuck Smith)

     1 Corinthians 2:7
But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory,

In contrary to the Biblical teaching of God, Joseph Smith taught the following:
     When we comprehend the character of God, we comprehend ourselves and know how to approach Him.....If men do not comprehend the character of God, they do not comprehend themselves. (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 39-41)

A good friend told me how sad she is that God is unreachable to me. It breaks my heart to know she misunderstands me entirely. Never in my Christian life have I said or felt God is unreachable. As a Mormon, I didn't even know who God really was, so I certainly had no idea it was possible for Him to reach me. As a Christian, I am now able to allow God into my life instead of constantly attempting to reach God myself. As a Mormon, I would strive so hard every single day to make sure God knew how hard I was trying to be perfect, or live a life free of sin. But somehow, I never ever felt good enough to receive God's love. I wasn't even sure I would end up in heaven when I died. I always felt I did not deserve God's love because I was not good enough nor was I trying hard enough. This was a never-ending battle I dealt with as a Mormon. I am so incredibly grateful for my time as a Mormon because it gave me the knowledge I have now. Just because our human minds are incapable of comprehending God, does not mean we do not have the capability of allowing God to reach us. We will never be able to comprehend God's wisdom, love, and understanding until we are in His presence.

I know God is omniscient. Webster's definition of omniscient: having infinite awareness, understanding, and insight; possessed of universal or complete knowledge.

In Christianity, God reaches down to man. In Mormonism, man attempts to reach God. ~ Suzanne Bishop

My unanswered question was:

If the Bible tells us God's understanding is infinite and unsearchable, why does the lds church insist to have Him all figured out?

I was initially devastated when I received this answer that the lds church does not have the Christian God figured out, yet overjoyed to find the truth that no human has the capability to understand God. The flaws were not in me; the flaws were in the teachings I was receiving from the lds church. I finally know God, and I am extremely grateful to have Him in my life every second of every day! I am so Blessed to have gone on such a heartbreaking yet wonderful journey, because now I know God loves me despite my imperfections!

No comments:

Post a Comment