Saturday, October 29, 2011

MARRIAGE

Reason 23

According to the Bible, there will be no marriage in Heaven.
Marriage is practiced only on earth.
Marriage is between man and woman.
Marriage is for multiplying and replenishing the earth.
Marriage is NOT for getting to heaven. In fact, marriage has absolutely NOTHING to do with getting to heaven. How reassuring is that for those that will never have an opportunity to be married!!!!!
The only marriage in heaven is Christ being married to His bride, which is the body of believers. In heaven, we will receive perfect love when we are reunited with our husband, Jesus. Our earthly marriages give us only a glimpse of the perfect love Christ has for each one of us. I am happy to say I will be with my husband in heaven; however, I will not be married to him. I will be married to Christ. The Bible also states Eternal Life is not limited to certain ones in Heaven. There is no parenthood or temple marriage in heaven, but eternal life is GIVEN to ALL Christians, or true believers.

     Matthew 22:29-30
Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven.

     Mark 12:24-25
Jesus answered and said to them, "Are you not therefore mistaken, because you do not know the Scriptures nor the power of God? For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

     Luke 20:34-36
Jesus answered and said to them, "The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage. But those who are counted worthy to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage; nor can they die anymore, for they are equal to the angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.

     Romans 7:4
Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another-to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.

     2 Corinthians 11:2
For I am jealous for you with godly jealousy. For I have betrothed you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

     1 John 5:12-13
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

     godandscience.org/doctrine/marriageinheaven

Temple marriage is the most important teaching in the LDS church. This covenant is required to enter the celestial kingdom. The teaching is that no one will reach the celestial kingdom (highest degree of glory) without the most sacred of ordinances, or Celestial (eternal) Marriage. The belief is that LDS earthly marriages will continue in heaven.

Bruce R. McConkie made the following declaration, "Celestial marriage is the gate to exaltation, and exaltation consists in the continuation of the family unit in eternity. Exaltation is eternal life, the kind of life, which God lives. Those who obtain it gain an inheritance in the highest of three heavens within the celestial kingdom.

     D&C 131:1-4
In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees; And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage]; And if he does not, he cannot obtain it. He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he cannot have an increase.

     The Lord Jesus Christ, Himself, gave us His word on what would happen in eternity regarding the state of marriage. ~Suzanne Bishop, Let the Scriptures Speak, p. 66

     LDS Children's Hymn 188, Families Can Be Together Forever
I have a family here on earth. They are so good to me. I want to share my life with them through all eternity. Families can be together forever Through heavenly Father's plan. I always want to be with my own family, and the Lord has shown me how I can. The Lord has shown me how I can.


While I am in my early years, I'll prepare most carefully, So I can marry in God's temple for eternity. Families can be together forever Through heavenly Father's plan. I always want to be with my own family, and the Lord has shown me how I can. The Lord has shown me how I can.

However, LDS scriptures even state there will be no marriage in heaven.

     D&C 132:16
Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

I was SO incredibly confused as a member...Blessedly, I am no longer confused about anything spiritual!

My unanswered question was:

Why is marriage in heaven such a major tenet of the LDS church when God has very plainly told us there is no marriage in heaven?

I was initially devastated when I received this answer that our earthly marriage will not be recognized in heaven, yet overjoyed to find the truth that I will be in Heaven will ALL my loved ones; Christ being my spouse! And how wonderfully amazing that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment