Thursday, June 9, 2011

CHRISTIANITY

Reason 7


What is Christianity?
What do Christians believe?

This past year I have been researching Christianity along with other religions. I have a desire to understand why the LDS church is not considered a Christian church. This is something I did not know when I was a member. I found many organizations, some Christian and some non-Christian, which teach what Biblical Christianity is and what Biblical Christians believe. The following organizations clearly define Christianity. I stopped researching after about 20 different organizations continued saying the same things.

God and Science
Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry
Institute for Religious Research
Is Mormonism Christian
Leadership U
Media Ministries Outreach
Utah Lighthouse Ministry
Mormonism Research Ministry
Mormon Outreach
Answering LDS
Basic Christian
MormonInfo

Every organization I was able to locate teaches that Christianity is the belief in these four main doctrines, my Reasons 3-6.

  1. One God. Reason 3
  2. The Trinity. Reason 4
  3. The Bible is the Complete Word of God. Reason 5
  4. Salvation by Grace Alone. Reason 6
The LDS church denies all four of these doctrines. Therefore, the consensus is:

Is the LDS church a Christian church? No.

Are Mormons Christians? I do not know, and I am not going to judge. My guess would be probably not if they believe in the major doctrines of their church and deny the major doctrines of Christianity. Looking back on my life as a member, I was not a Christian. I was indeed a Mormon. If I look at the personal relationship I have with Christ today, I surely never had that as a Mormon, and I am certain that I never would have achieved this type of relationship with HIM had I continued on in the church. I was so over-involved in church that I completely missed out on HIM. I was a "churchian" instead of a Christian. I had to make sure I was...

  • wearing my garments
  • caught up on laundry so Ken and I always had a clean set of garments
  • paying a full tithe
  • willingly fulfilling callings
  • preparing lessons
  • finding someone to fulfill my callings if I was unable to
  • keeping my children quiet during Sacrament
  • following the word of wisdom
  • strengthening my testimony
  • reading all lessons
  • attending activities
  • preparing and carrying out family home evening every week
  • preparing talks
  • helping my children prepare talks
  • studying scriptures
  • praying as often as I was counseled
  • visiting my sisters
  • making time for my visiting teachers
  • making time for my home teachers
  • attending all meetings
  • attending tithing settlement every year
  • attending temple recommend interviews
  • attending the temple every month or more
  • researching genealogy so I had names to do work for
  • cleaning the church building
  • finding time to have the missionaries over for dinner
  • making dinner for Sister Smith's family who just had a baby or surgery
  • looking for someone to bring to church with me, etc.
Somewhere in there I needed to be a 
full-time Daughter of Christ,
full-time Wife,
full-time Mom,
full-time Teacher,
full-time Daughter,
full-time Daughter-in-law,
full-time Granddaughter,
full-time Sister,
full-time Sister-in-law,
full-time Aunt,
full-time Niece,
full-time Cousin, etc.

It's no wonder I couldn't find time for a relationship with Christ. Who could?

Is it possible for a Mormon to be a Christian? Maybe. At least I think so, but only God knows. For the most part Mormons are really great people who truly believe they are doing the right thing. I mean look above at all the things they are doing...

Do Mormons believe they are Christians? Absolutely. I definitely thought I was a Christian when I was a Mormon since no one ever told me that Mormonism does not teach the main doctrines of Christianity. I suppose I was just so caught up in the church that I didn't even think to ask why they denied Biblical teachings.

In my search this past year I have been unable to locate a religious organization besides LDS that recognizes LDS as Christian. Every organization I have found does not consider the LDS church a Christian church. Oh wait, maybe there was one... Anyhow, it is very clear that Mormonism denies the four basic doctrines of Christianity. Therefore, Mormonism is not a Christian religion.

I now know why Christians say Mormons are not Christians. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with that, but I do agree that they do not follow Christian beliefs because I have been both. They believe in a completely different God than the Christian God. They are followers of Christ, just not the same Christ from the Bible that Christians believe in. They are off the path of the Bible. They have a different definition of Grace.

I can also say for sure that they do use all of the vocabulary words that Christians use, but what has been proven is that they are using a completely different dictionary. Their definitions are completely different from Christianity.
     Mormon Definitions from carm.org

     Acts 11:26, written about 40 AD, teaches that Disciples were first called Christians after Paul's Ministry in Antioch.
And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

     Alma 46:13-16, written about 73 BC, refers to Nephites as Christians.
...so long as there should a band of Christians remain to possess the land-For thus were all the true believers of Christ, who belonged to the church of God, called by those who did not belong to the church. And those who did belong to the church were faithful; yea, all those who were true believers in Christ took upon them, gladly, the name of Christ, or Christians as they were called, because of their belief in Christ who should come. And therefore, at this time, Moroni prayed that the cause of the Christians, and the freedom of the land might be favored.

     Matthew 16:18, written about 33 AD, teaches that during Jesus' Ministry, He spoke of His Church as Something of the future.
And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

     Acts 2:47
praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

     Mosiah 18:17, claims Christian Church was established as early as 147 BC
And they were called the church of God, or the church of Christ, from that time forward. And it came to pass that whosoever was baptized by the power and authority of God was added to his church.

     from carm.org
Is it Christian? No.
If you were to go to any Christian bookstore and look in the non-Christian...section you will see numerous books on Mormonism that document Mormon beliefs as aberrant and un-Biblical. The Mormon Church is not considered a Christian church.
This is not simply an opinion that they are false; it is a fact that they teach aberrant and unchristian theology. In fact, Jesus warned us about such groups when He said in Matthew 24:24 that in the last days many false Christs and false prophets will arise and deceive many. Mormonism is exactly that, a manifestation of a false prophet: Joseph Smith, who taught all these things.
The Bible does not teach that God came from another planet, or that he has a goddess wife, or that we can become gods. In fact, the Bible clearly and definitely contradicts those teachings. But, the Mormon Church responds by saying that the Bible is not really trustworthy, that the true faith was lost, and that its leader, Joseph Smith, restored the so-called "true" Christian faith: god from another world, becoming gods, goddess mother, etc. Of course, the Mormon Church's claim is not true.

My unanswered question was:

How can the LDS church claim to be Christian when they deny the basis of Biblical Christianity: One God, The Trinity, The Bible, and Grace?

I was initially devastated when I received this answer that the LDS church is not a Christian church, yet overjoyed to find the truth that I do not have to belong to a specific church to be a Christian as long as I believe Jesus is My Savior, He is God in the flesh, He is the only God who will ever exist, The Bible is the Complete Word of God, Christ died for my sins, and I am Saved by His Grace Alone!

I am so Blessed I had the desire to research religion, The Bible, and Christianity!

One last thought for those that still disagree with me. You are not disagreeing with me, but you are disagreeing with Biblical Christianity. It has already been proven that the LDS church is not a Christian church. I will not deny that the church has many wonderful members and some great qualities; it's just not classified as Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment