Thursday, June 16, 2011

Reason 4 afterthought

My original thoughts were to go deeper into my current beliefs after I have stated my 40 reasons for leaving the church. If I still feel the need to write, that is. Writing this blog has been extremely therapeutic for me and I feel I am finally beginning to heal from the pain and sorrow I have been through this past year. I want to thank everyone that has given me support, encouragement, smiles, hugs, and uplifting messages. You are also helping me to finally heal! I would also like to thank those of you who are continuing to follow my journey; it means a lot to me.

THE TRINITY, addition

It has been brought to my attention by a few people that my post about The Trinity is quite confusing. First, I would like to apologize if I have confused anyone. Second, I purposely did not go into much detail about trying to explain The Trinity. It is such a difficult concept that I am unable to teach it to others. However, I thought I would go into just a little more detail.

In Psalm 147:5 and Isaiah 40:28, we are taught that God is incomprehensible. His understanding and knowledge are infinite. Our little human minds are incomparable to God's. There will be certain things from God that we as humans are incapable of understanding. I believe The Trinity is one topic that is beyond our comprehension. This is how I think of The Trinity; Ken is one person who plays three roles.

  • He is a Father.
  • He is a Son.
  • He is a husband.
He is still only one person, yet he has three distinct and very different titles. His three roles make only one person, one body, one spirit. He is three persons in one.

As I have said many times before, God seems to work in threes a lot. He made Himself in three just as He made us in three. We are
  • Spirit
  • Soul
  • Body

Mormonism teaches that Jesus is the literal Son of God. The church also teaches that Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother had children, the firstborn is Jesus. These teachings are in conflict with The Bible. 

     President Gordon B. Hinckley:
Logic and reason would certainly suggest that if we have a Father in Heaven, we have a Mother in Heaven. That doctrine rests well with me. However, in light of the instruction we have received from the Lord Himself, I regard it as inappropriate for anyone in the Church to pray to our Mother in Heaven...The fact that we do not pray to our Mother in Heaven in no way belittles or denigrates her...none of us can add to or diminish the glory of her of whom we have no revealed knowledge. Gordon B. Hinckley, "Daughters of God," Ensign (November 1991), 97

     O My Father, LDS Hymn 292
O my Father, thou that dwellest 
In the high and glorious place, 
When shall I regain thy presence 
And again behold thy face? 
In thy holy habitation, 
Did my spirit once reside? 
In my first primeval childhood 
Was I nurtured near thy side?

For a wise and glorious purpose 
Thou hast placed me here on earth 
And withheld the recollection 
Of my former friends and birth; 
Yet ofttimes a secret something
Whispered, "You're a stranger here,"
And I felt that I had wandered
From a more exalted sphere.

I had learned to call thee Father,
Thru thy Spirit from on high,
But, until the key of knowledge
Was restored, I knew not why.
In the heav'ns are parents single?
No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason, truth eternal
Tells me I've a mother there.

When I leave this frail existence,
When I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you
In your royal courts on high?
Then, at length, when I've completed
All you sent me forth to do,
With your mutual approbation
Let me come and dwell with you.
     Text: Eliza R. Snow

This is what The Bible tells us.

In John 1:14, The Word became flesh. God is The Word and He became Jesus, or God in the flesh.

In 1 Timothy 3:16, God was manifested in the flesh. God is purely Spirit without a body; therefore, without a body, He was unable to come to the earth as a spirit only. He had to empty Himself into a Human form in order to come to earth as Jesus. This explains the Virgin Birth.

     There is nothing in the Bible about Jesus being born of Heavenly Parents or being the literal Son of God.

This is a great article about the changes that Joseph Smith made in LDS doctrine; from believing the Trinity to believing in many gods and his god being a man.

Christianity teaches that God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are a Trinity.
Mormonism teaches that God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are three distinct personages. God and Jesus have two separate bodies the same as man and the Holy Ghost is purely spirit. There are many gods that began just as man did and they had to achieve godhood by obeying the laws and ordinances of the gospel.

Only one of these teachings can be right, and this is one of the main reasons that Mormonism is considered non-Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment